Hunger Games


Hunger Games:

     Last night I finished The Hunger Games, the book. I was blown away by the ending. *SPOILER* The Muttation dogs attacking Katniss, Peeta, and Cato, the revocation of the two can win rule, and then Katniss literally clawing at the glass calling out Peeta’s name while the doctors work to save his life… Did any of you feel like these things were missing from the movie? That’s because they were. The suspense of them anyway.

     Other than those few things I really felt like the movie captures the books very well as far as the story goes, but some of the emotion I found a bit lackluster, a few more differences that left me a little… shall we say… Hungry? The costumes were breath taking, the attention to character detail was fantastic, and the casting was OUTSTANDING. I’ve heard there were some people who were upset that Rue and Thresh were black, I have to say… were we reading the same book?


The author’s colloquialisms made both Thresh and Rue’s ethnic background very apparent to me. The author seems to make that point by describing Thresh’s strength and speed and even the location Thresh decides to live in reminds me very much of the tall African savannahs. Also, the speed, dexterity, and athleticism that Rue exhibits at such a young age are common with African American athletes.

     I love that Foxface’s hair was the exact color I pictured it, and that even Ceaser’s eyebrows were blue. At first I wasn’t sure about Josh Hutcherson being cast as Peeta, but as the movie went on I thought he did a great job. I also adored Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss. I honestly hadn’t put too much thought into the other characters, not even Cato, although I did think they all did a very good job.  When I heard Lenny Kravits was going to be Cinna I was very shocked but he pulled it off beautifully. I had always pictured Haymitch as a drunken version of Mad Eye Moody, but I really liked Woody Harrelson. He made me really feel for Haymitch and it was much more obvious the change between drunkard who doesn’t care about his protégé’s to someone who would do anything to help them get sponsors.

     So here’s what I missed: I missed feeling the connection from Peeta towards Katniss, I missed the tug of war of Katniss’s emotions about returning his affections. I felt like the movie way underplayed the love story! From the moment she pulled her hand away on the carriage I knew this was going to be the case. I kept hoping they would recover it but they never quite managed it. In the book Katniss and Peeta are holding hands so tightly that they are literally hurting each other, but neither one wants to let go. Through the whole book I could feel how much Peeta adored Katniss and her blindness to it actually irritated the hell out of me (I’ve mentioned before how annoyed I get when the character is missing something super obvious, it’s a flaw… I’m working on it).  I knew in the back of my head that Gale would be an issue when they got home if they both survived, but until I reached the end I had no hope they would. I felt as though the movie missed the connection Katniss had with Haymitch, not only that she hated his guts most of
the time, but also how well she understood his meaning behind giving and with holding gifts. For the most part I felt like Katniss was sort of indifferent to Peeta, they didn’t ever make it very clear that they were supposed to be playing the “friends or lovers” angle from the moment they got off that chariot. It just seemed like it happened more naturally. I really missed that Katniss didn’t scream Peeta’s name when they announced there could be two victors, but I suppose a whisper can be equally effective when you’re on film, and it is such a small thing, but it’s also one thing that helps get Katniss out of the dog house during their closing interview.

     Speaking of dogs… in the books my heart actually froze up when I realized what Katniss did, that the dogs actually were parts of their former competitors, it was never clean just how much they were though. In the movie they were big and scary, but it wasn’t a sick and twisted thing that the Capitol did like it was in the book. Also, Peeta was not fatally wounded by the dogs and so their desperation to commit suicide felt a little hasty. I truly believe had Peeta not been on death’s door already Katniss would never have thought about taking her own life instead. I also didn’t feel like Katniss needed

Peeta, it very much felt like a slap in the face to the Capitol. There also was not that horrible moment on the train home when Peeta believes she made it all up. True, Katniss is torn, on the one hand she doesn’t ever want to be married or have kids, but I truly believe that she deeply feels for Peeta. I also believe, though, that if Katniss allows those doors to be opened towards love she may be flooded by them. I know somewhere she loves Gale, she just hasn’t allowed herself to ever feel romantic love before. I start book two tonight and I believe a lot of my questions may be answered, and I’m sure a lot more will be asked as we head into book three.

     I have a lot of questions regarding the cut backs to the Capitol and whether or not they took snipits from book two and stuck them in the first movie. I guess only my reading further will tell! In any case this was definitely the best book to film adaptation I have ever seen,  and I’m excited to see the future of this series.


Keep reading and watching my friends!
Category: 2 comments

2 comments:

Jill said...

Awesome review. You put to words what I was feeling after seeing the movie. I absolutely love the books but went to see the movie with the apprehension that it would be ruined. I do love the movie but missed all inner turmoil that Katniss thinks about. Enjoy the rest of the books.

Megurine Julia said...

I so agree with what you said about the casting of Rue. I thought she was perfect. If anyone expected Rue to be white, they didn't pay attention to the novel well enough. I thought she was a cutie.

Post a Comment