I bought it for the cover

    
Not what you expected? Well, I get that a lot... Keep reading and you'll get it from me often too, but it's not entirely different from what you think. See, I told you I was kinda of obsessed with my son, so I had to throw a picture of him on here. Anyway, we were at the grocery store and he was determined to get my grocery list. So I trotted on over to the book isle and grabbed the most obnoxious looking cover I could find. Gold and Shiny, yup, that certainly kept him and his gums happy for the duration of our shopping trip.

I wasn't about to be out booked my my 6 month old son I began browsing the shelves. I saw the very first book I ever bought solely because it had a Bad Ass cover, Darynda Jones' First Grave on the Right. Haven't heard of it? Shame on you... I hadn't either... but could you have resisted this cover?



    

I'm now totally obsessed with this author and series. I'm currently reading Third Grave Dead Ahead (review to come, I promise). I'm so into her right now I couldn't even wait until I finished the book I'm on to write about her. I wont totally go into it right now because I have big plans for my Third Grave review... but in the mean time I'd like to know YOUR "bought it for the cover" stories and how they turned out. I also was drawn to a book called Touch of Frost by Jennifer Estep, well actually I was much more attracted to the second book's cover Kiss of Frost


   

Isn't it prettiful?! I have a rule with myself though... never start a series in the middle, always read the first book. I also always read the brief of the novel before I buy it, I was iffy on whether or not to start a new series before finishing one buuut there was that word in the description of Kiss of Frost... Reaper. I didn't even finish reading, I tossed the first book into my cart and finished shopping. I'm totally into Reapers now, thanks D, and not that they could hold a candle to my girl, Chuck, but I thought I'd give it a shot! So look for my review of both Third Grave and Touch of Frost by Jennifer Estep coming up in future posts. For now let me know your "I bought it for the cover" stories!
Keep reading my friends!
Category: 4 comments

4 comments:

Darynda said...

Wow, I have to admit, Jennifer's cover is the bomb!!! That is gorgeous! I'm so glad you like the cover to First Grave. I remember when I first saw it, I was just stunned. I was expecting something very urban fantasy. What I got was something that was very Charley. My editor is amazing! LOL.

I have bought so many books just for the cover, it's embarrassing. Some of them have turned into wonderful buys. Some, not so much. A recent one was Donna Grant's Shadow Highlander. OMG that cover is to die for. I can't wait to start that puppy!

Great post!

Read Drink and Be Bloggy said...

Thanks! Yours was actually the ONLY great book and cover combo to date but I'm hoping Frost will surprise me! I thought, with FG, man those are wicked shoes! I'm totally gonna be in sync with this chick, and read the inside cover, I'd never really read anything like it but I just LOVE the way you write, the sassy comedy and the earnest squishy side of Charley... I don't even know how you do it but I love it!!

Jessa Slade said...

Those are all good books! Well, I don't know about the flavor -- we'll let kiddo make the call on that one :) -- but the stories inside are all tasty.

Anonymous said...

One book I bought for the cover years ago was Damages. It is a very clean graphic in black and white with red and blue on the spine. Plus it is a fabulous story. About the most passionate thing I have ever read.
There are 2 books I did buy for their titles. Kiss My Tiara-How to Rule the World as a Smart Mouth Goddess and If You Can't Live Without Me Why Aren't You Dead Yet? by Cynthia Heimel. Both books were not as good as their titles. I guess I must have been going through relationship problems at the time.

Post a Comment